Friday, September 19, 2008

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy

Things in Baoding are just plain done differently than in the US. Take shopping for example. When I needed to make a few purchases to make my living situation more comfortable I would hop into my personal transportation vehicle, drive to the nearest Wal-Mart, and comfortably peruse the spacious and well organized aisles for the items of my choice. As our team ventured out to the largest supermarket in Baoding we quickly discovered that this would not be the case for our overseas experience. In fact when I think of yesterdays supermarket adventure the first thing that jumps to mind is the video game Road Rash that Peter and I used to play for the Sega Genesis.

The game can best be described as a high speed motorcycle racing game meets full contact football with lead pipes and wooden bats. It is a full on brawl to get to the finish line which quickly becomes a secondary objective to knocking your opponent to the asphalt with your metal a long metal chain. Needless to say our shopping getting around the supermarket is a skill that we Americans have not yet acquired.

Somehow we were able to procure most of what we needed in the midst of the masses of clashing carts and people but it was an experience that we will not quickly forget. 2 hours and hundreds of yuan later we all were very grateful to a respite back to our respective apartments. Despite the difficulties I was very much pleased with decorating my room with exciting things like a rug, lamp, and trash can larger than the size of a cereal bowl. Thanks to the marvels of modern technology you can view these new additions if you so desire in a youtube video that shows a brief tour of my apartment.

1 comment:

Janet Phillips said...

thanks for the tour tim - like what you've done with the place! Not sure about how those lights are wired up in the bathroom though.... Looks a little sketchy!